What is Oryzalin?
Oryzalin is the active ingredient in the preemergent herbicide Surflan . Physically it looks like a bright yellow-orange powdery substance. Oryzalin is used primarily for controlling and inhibiting weed growth in annual grasses and broadleafs. As the name suggests, a pre-emergent herbicide must be applied before weeds emerge to have any real effect.
How is Oryzalin used?
It is predicted that 80% of oryzalin use is on soybeans, with the remaining 20% being used in vineyards, almond orchards, fields of grain, potatoe fields, and other crops.