Have about 5000 square feet of lawn/garden beds. I've used this so far to spread mole repellent, lime pellets, lawn fertilizer and potash. Be prepared to calibrate the spreader settings for any application yourself as you wont find nice answers on google. There is a learning curve for walking speed, spreader setting and handle crank speed. For my size lawn I am mostly satisfied with the purchase, but I would not want to use this for anything much larger or if I needed to apply a really large amount of product.
* The build quality feels solid, though there is a lot of plastic.
* compact enough to fit on a high shelf out of the way between seasons
* left/right/center adjustment is nice
* you will get dirty using this thing, especially if you are applying something dusty
* it feels awkward to use, but maybe it stems from my strap problem (below). It may be too large to use reasonably if you are short (I am 6"2' and the crank felt too low unless i had the spreader at an angle and the strap as short as it would go)
* whats up with the strap? The box makes it look like maybe its supposed to go around your shoulder not your neck, but these (seemingly cosmetic) rubber things make it impossible to make long enough to do that even though there is enough material. I ended up making it as short as possible and kind of putting it around my neck. Not very comfortable but my lawn is small. Its one of the reasons I wouldnt recommend for larger applications/lawns. I may cut the rubber things off next time and see if that helps.
* when spreading the lime pellets (large grains) I had the spreader set to the widest setting and several times the grains got stuck causing the handle and spreading mechanism to lock up. I was able to shake it around and get it going again each time without having to put it down but it made me worried I was causing damage. I will probably just have to do a lower setting and make multiple passes next time.
Was this review helpful to you? YesNo
1 of 1 people found this review helpful