In both lawn care and pest control, professionals will often suggest that you consult your local extension office for better information more suited to your local climate or region. But what is an extension office and what do they do? Read below to find out.
Extension Office 411
Extension offices are departments located in local counties and universities. These offices are run by university employees and volunteers that are experts in local crops, landscaping, soil, gardening, pests, and more. Almost every single county in the United States has an extension office, and the offices are supported by state universities.
Because there are so many extension offices throughout each state, extension offices provide highly localized information. They know about the specific soil, wildlife, crops, and more found in their county, providing expert advice to local residents.
What Can Extension Offices Do?
Extension services vary state by state and county by county, but offices can generally assist in:
- Identifying the grass and weeds in your lawn
- Identifying tree diseases
- Identifying pests found in your home or on your property
- Identifying pest problems based on the damage to your home
- Testing your soil's pH level
- Suggesting fertilizers, fertilizer additives (lime, nitrous, etc.), and lawn treatments based on your soil's pH level
- Testing your home's water for contaminants
- Recommending when to apply fertilizers, pre-emergent herbicides, and other lawn and plant treatments based on the local climate
- Recommending plants, vegetables, and flowers that will thrive in your yard based on the climate, soil, and weather patterns
- Recommending how to get rid of weeds in your lawn
- Information on how to properly dispose of insecticides and herbicides
Extensions offices also coordinate local 4-H programs and horticulture-related volunteer programs.
How Do I Contact My Local Extension Office?
The National Pesticide Information Center has a full list of local extension offices, broken down by state, then county. Click here to find your local extension office.
If you have any questions about a recommendation from your local extension office or need further assistance, give the experts on our customer service team a call at 866-581-7378 or email email@example.com.