How To Get Rid of Smoky Brown Roaches
By DoMyOwn staff
Getting rid of this pest requires patience, persistance, and a combination of both chemical and non-chemical methods.
Step 1) Non Chemical Methods for Smoky Brown Cockroach Control
Like most pests, Smoky Brown roaches require 3 things to thrive-food, water, and harborage. If you can eliminate even one of these things through proper sanitation, the roach population will be forced to either die or move someplace else.
- Discard old boxes and piles of papers where roaches can hide.
- Use a waste bin or trash can with a tight fitting lid and keep trash in a close plastic bag overnight.
- Fix leaky drains and faucets; roaches can live on water alone.
- Clean kitchen appliances thoroughly
- Empty pet food containers at night, or place them on the back porch or in a plastic bag.
- Vacuum regularly, and restrict food consumption to one room of the house. This will help keep Smoky Brown roaches and other pests from spreading into others areas such as bedrooms.
Smoky Brown Cockroaches prefer to live outdoors, but will easily set up residence indoors if they can find their way inside. Exclusion is about keeping Smoky Brown Roaches out, or at least making it harder for them to get in.
- Caulk and repair holes around doors, windows, water pipes and baseboards.
- Place mesh screens over windows, floor drains, and vents. These places serve as roach hideaways.
- Windows and doors should fit tightly and squarely within their frames to prevent both harborage and entry from outside.
Step 2) Chemical Methods for Smoky Brown Cockroach Control
Dust Cracks & Crevices
- The dusts that work best against Smoky Brown roaches are Delta Dust and CB Borid Boric Acid.
- Using a hand duster and following label instructions, apply dust liberally where roaches travel--underneath and behind baseboards, behind wall outlets, in wall voids, in cupboards and cabinets, and underneath appliances such as washers and dryers.
Apply a Liquid Residual to the Perimeter
- Demand CS, Suspend SC, or Demon WP provide excellent control when mixed in a 2 gallon sprayer and applied at a low-pressure setting.
- Spray indoors along baseboards, especially in corners; window and door frames, on the underside of furniture, behind bookshelves, and in other problem areas as listed on the product label. With Smoky Brown Cockroches, the outher perimeter of the home or structure should also be treated.
- Residual sprays need to be reapplied every month to every 3 months, depending on the level of infestation.
Baits & Granules
- Use Niban FG or Intice Bait in attics, basements, and crawlspaces.
- Other Effective Cockroach baits include Maxforce FC Roach Bait Gel, Avert Dry Flowable Cockroach Bait, and Advion Roach Bait Gel.
- If you do not see a difference in the infestation within 2 weeks of applying any given bait, it may be the roaches have an aversion or resistance to that bait. Don't give up-try a different bait until you find one the population will take.
- For added protection, spread DeltaGard G Granules outdoors in pine straw and mulched areas surrounding the infested structure.
Kill ‘em on Contact
Contact sprays will kill roaches immediately on contact, and can also be used to "flush out" roaches from suspected harborages. Contact Sprays for Smoky Brown Cockroaches include CB-80 Extra, Cy-Kick, D-Force HPX, 565 Plus XLO.
Don't Skip the IGR!
An IGR is a chemical used to disrupt and impede the life cycle of insects in the egg and larvae stage of development. The idea with an IGR is that if an insect cannot reach adulthood, it cannot reproduce. In short, IGR is a form of "birth control" for Smoky Brown Roaches and other pests, which helps to keep populations under control by preventing current and future infestations.
- The most common and effective IGR for roach control is Gentrol IGR, which comes in an aerosol, concentrated liquid, and point-source tablet.
- We recommend Gentrol IGR Concentrate to be added to your hand sprayer and sprayed right along with your baseboard chemical ( Demand CS, Suspend SC, or Demon WP ).
- For kitchen and bathroom areas, Gentrol Aerosol is the formulation of choice. Using the straw attachment, the IGR should be applied liberally to all visible cracks and crevices, including underneath, behind, and alongside appliances, behind outlets, along pipe collars, inside wall voids, and on top of kitchen cabinets near the ceiling.
- Continue to apply IGR every 4 to 6 weeks for up to 6 months, or until all signs of infestation have been eliminated.
View all Roach Control Products
40 of 41 people found this article informative and helpful.