How Much Does a Termite Inspection & Treatment Cost?
Termites are extremely destructive wood-eating pests that can devastate your home, and cost homeowners thousands of dollars every year. While most people and pest professionals will discourage you from attempting your own termite treatments, termite treatment cost and even termite treatment inspection cost can be so high, you could be discouraged from treating at all. However, it is entirely possible to avoid these bank-breaking costs. This article outlines a bit about what hiring a pest control company would entail, the costs you may incur, and problems you could run into, to help you make the best choice for your home.
Termite Inspection Cost
Many people may be unaware of what a termite inspection entails. This type of inspection isn’t included in a home inspection job, but is highly recommended. A pest control professional will come out and check the foundation of your home, making sure there is no wood in contact with soil. They are looking for any signs of termites (mud tubes, droppings, wood shavings, etc.), as well as any wood-damaging insects or organisms (mold, damp wood, or leaks.). You may get a free inspection, but the “report” they fill out that indicates problem areas could cost up to $150.
The main problem with inspections is just making sure you have chosen a very trusted and reputable company to do this for you. Otherwise, you may end up getting a false diagnosis and subsequently paying for treatments you didn’t need. You may think you’re not certified or knowledgeable enough to inspect your home, but it is entirely possible to learn quickly what to look for. Learn more about how to do your own termite inspection.
Termite Treatment Cost
This is where the money really comes in. There are different types of termite treatments and most are based on the size of your home or area to be treated. Here are some key points to keep in mind when considering hiring termite treatment companies.
- After your inspection, you can purchase a treatment plan, in which a company will come out once a year and either do preventative treatments or check/replace monitoring bait stations. The cost for this varies, but could be anywhere from $150 to $300. You can buy termite baits from us and do it yourself for much cheaper.
- Chemical treatments are usually charged by the linear foot, not by the square footage of your home. The average per foot is about $4-$16. A chemical is sprayed in areas where termites have been seen and other areas that may be necessary. These average between $1300-$1500 per treatment. If you do it yourself you can easily save up to 80%. We sell the exact same chemicals that termite companies use, like Termidor termiticide or Dominion 2L termiticide.
- Fumigation, which is most commonly used for drywood termites, is very expensive and the cost increases with the size of the home to be treated. It can range anywhere between $1300 and $2500 or more.
- There are also monitoring stations that companies can place around your home and will come and check monthly and replace for a fee. While there might always be termites in the soil, (this is normal) but the bait stations can help you tell if there is an influx of activity. This service is usually paid for yearly and varies greatly in price.
- A large or national pest control company will cost more, just because they have more things to pay for. When you are paying for a treatment from one of these companies, you are also paying for things like the cost of chemicals and equipment, labor and training, business expenses, insurance, licenses, taxes, and anything that a large company must pay for.
To save up to 80% on termite control by doing it yourself, visit our termite control & treatment products page to buy the supplies you will need.
We also have compiled an extensive how-to guide for getting rid of termites yourself. Since all the professional products and equipment are available to you, there’s no reason you can’t be successful at doing termite treatments yourself. From inspection to treatment, you can potentially save thousands of dollars and have the satisfaction of knowing you’re doing it right.
Can't find the product you are looking for? E-mail us and we'll get it for you!
We sell professional do it yourself pest control (diy), exterminator and
extermination insecticide, pesticide, chemical and bug killer treatment
products to spray, eliminate and exterminate pests.
Many of our products are not available in stores
such as Home Depot, Walmart or Lowes.