Product Q&A

« See More Q&A's

Karen from Painesville, Oh writes

What is the best product to prevent both crawling and flying insects?

We spend hundreds of $$ every year to have our house sprayed to prevent bees, ants, spiders, etc. The exterminator guarantees the spray for 6 months. Is there a product that would do the same that we could do ourselves?


There are not any insecticides on the market that will last for 6 months outdoors. What actually happens is the exterminator will spray a product and wipe out all of the insects nearby and it can take many months for the pests to build back up to an intolerable level. If you have been happy with the treatment the pest control operator has been using you can ask them what product they have been using. Most PCO's will also write the name of the product or the active ingredient on your bill as most states require this. We carry just about any product your PCO would have used. Our most popular general use insecticide among professionals and homeowners is Talstar P. It is widely used by pest control companies because it is labeled for almost every insect you could have a problem with and you can use it outside the home as well as inside, it is odorless and very safe for use around children and pets.  It is a liquid concentrate that you mix with water in a one gallon hand pump sprayer.  It will last for 60 to 90 days outside in between treatments.  It is also labeled for lawn and ornamental use, and can be used on trees, plants, bushes and shrubs for all sorts of ornamental pests including Japanese beetles, mosquitoes, and other leaf eating pests. Talstar is also available in a granule formula called Talstar PL if you prefer to use granules.

Answer last updated on: 05/15/2012

Was this answer helpful to you? Yes No

2 of 2 people found this answer helpful.