Is do it yourself termite control for me?
The answer to this question will be different for everyone, and the right answer for you will depend on several factors. Termite treatments can be challenging and tedious, requiring specialized training and equipment. Many homeowners have successfully performed their own termite treatments using liquid treatments and/or baiting systems, while others have found it more prudent to pay a professional in order to save time, money, and potential frustration. Before you decide, you may want to consider the following:
- Situations that pose a greater challenge for termite treatments
- Structures or homes built on a slab, because of the required drilling
- Structures or homes with a basement, because of the required drilling
- If you are going to need a clearance letter as proof of termite treatment for a mortgage company, this has to be done by a licensed Pest Control operator
- Situations that are more conducive to do-it-yourself treatments
- Treating your own fence posts, mail boxes, wooden sheds, and other wooden elements in the yard.
- A block type home with enough crawl space clearance to easily apply chemicals.
- Have a professional Pest Control Operator perform the liquid barrier and soil treatments, but you install your own baiting system.
I. If You Have an Existing Infestation:
The most effective treatment for active termite infestations is a combination of applying a barrier/soil termiticide treatment, and installing a termite bait system. Keep in mind that a baiting program requires a lot of time, effort, and energy on your part to install the stations and then monitor them on a consistent basis, over a period of years. If monitoring is not done properly, the baiting program will fail. If you feel that you are not up to monitoring your bait stations, call in the professionals!
How to do your own barrier/soil treatment.
How to do your own termite baiting.
II. Preventative Treatments:
The same combination of termite treatments used for controlling an active infestation will go a long way to prevent future infestations.
Applying a liquid termiticide to your foundation soil will create a barrier to protect your home that can last up to 5 years if undisturbed. How to do your own barrier/soil treatment.
Termite baiting systems are all the talk on the pest control market as an effective means of managing and preventing termites. Baiting is not a barrier, so it should not be used as a stand-alone treatment, but baiting will drastically reduce the chances of termites making their way into your home. How to do your own termite baiting.
Recommended Termiticides for Soil/ Barrier Treatments
Cyper TC (Demon TC) Termiticide
Phantom Termiticide Insecticide
Recommended Termite Baiting Systems
Advance Termite Monitor Bait Station
Used to hold the Advance termite monitoring base and wood base to detect subterranean termites.
FirstLine Termite Defense System Kit
Complete Starter Kit for the Firstline Termite Defense System. Everything is included to provide your own Termite Control.
View all Termite Control Products