Wasps and hornets can be a nuisance when you're trying to enjoy your yard and can cause problems to those that are allergic.
As wasps, including the yellow jacket species, and hornets can live on neighboring properties, it is not always possible to completely keep them away from your home or commercial building, however, there are several things you can do to prevent large amounts of wasps and hornets from congregating around your home.
If you do have wasps or hornets in or around your home, read our guide on how to get rid of wasps and hornets for treatment options.
How to Prevent Wasps, Hornets, and Yellow Jackets from Invading Your Yard or Home
The following are steps you can take to help keep wasps and hornets away from your home:
- Clean outdoor trash cans frequently and always keep the lids on tight
- Keep leaves and yard debris swept up and orderly
- Keep bushes and trees properly pruned
- Empty standing water from bird baths, rain gutters, animal dishes, and other items that collect rain water
- Spray any newly formed nests with a pyrethrin wasp spray, such as PT Wasp Freeze II Aerosol, then knock the nest down
Basic sanitation methods around your lawn will also help keep flying pests away. Learn more in our general pest management guide.
We hope you have found this guide helpful. If you are not sure if you have wasps or hornets, read our guide on what wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets look like. How to find wasp and hornet nests will guide you to finding the source of an infestation and how to get rid of wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets will cover your treatment options.
If you have any questions about any of the product or treatment methods mentioned in this guide, give our customer service team a call at 866-581-7373 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.