What is an IGR?
What kind of pests can be controlled with an IGR?
Some of the most common pests targeted by IGR's include fleas, ticks, ants, roaches, bedbugs, and other stored product pests.
Since IGRs address only the problem of reproduction but do not actually kill the adult insect, it is always a good idea to use a knockdown-and-kill insecticide along with the IGR for ultimate population control. (Also keep in mind that IGRs are NOT for direct application to pets, although it may be used on their bedding. To treat flea problems on animals, it's a good idea to use a flea collar or other product designed specifically for direct pet application.
When is the best time to use an IGR?
The ideal time to treat your home with an IGR to prevent bothersome infestations is right now, before reproduction becomes a problem.
IGRs can come in a concentrated, spray, bait, and aerosol form for versatile application. IGR concentrates like Precor and Gentrol are meant to be mixed with water and can then be used as crack and crevice, spot, or fogging applications. (When treating for fleas, concentrates applied to carpets, upholstered furniture, and pet sleeping areas, may prevent adult flea emergence for up to 7 months.)
An IGR Aerosol reaches fleas and other pests or larvae hidden in carpets, rugs, drapes, upholstery, pet bedding and floor cracks. Whatever form you are using, always read the product label carefully for ideal application.
Pest Control Products that Contain IGRs:
- Extinguish Plus - Fire Ant bait with IGR that kills fire ants and prevents the queen from laying fertile eggs.
- Gentrol Aerosol - IGR - Aerosol containing IGR (Insect growth regulator) that disrupts pest development, preventing current and future infestations.
- Gentrol IGR Concentrate - Insect Growth Regulator that disrupts the normal development of roaches, drain flies, fruit flies, bedbugs, and stored product pests. 1 oz. bottle.
- Gentrol Point Source - Contains the Gentrol Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) hydroprene for 90-day control of roaches and other stored product pests.
- Precor 2000 Plus Premise Spray - An insect growth regulator (IGR) and residual insecticide for controlling fleas and ticks, ants and cockroaches.
- Precor IGR Concentrate - Contains the insect growth regulator methoprene to stop pre-adult flea development - and future infestations.