Medina Orange Oil is a natural and biodegradable product made from the oils extracted from orange peels during a cold press process that preserves the natural structure of the oil. Orange Oil has been found to be a key component of various gardening and household applications. Orange Oil has been found to naturally deter some insect pests such as fire ants. Medina Orange Oil is 98% cold pressed orange peel and 2% emulsifier.
Orange Oil is not a pesticide nor is it labeled for any specific insects. While it may slightly deter some insect pests such as fire ants, it will only kill those insects that are sprayed directly during application. Please refer to our many other Insect Control products for more complete pest control.
I purchased Medina Orange Oil to control fire ants in my new vegetable garden spot to avoid using nasty chemicals. Mixed at 1 1/2 oz. to a gallon of water and a few drops of dish detergent and poured into the nest, I have seen better results so far than Amdro used in other parts of the yard. After 10 days, I have seen no more fire ant activity in my new garden. YEAH!!!
Medina Orange Oil when mixed with Dawn dish washing liquid is an effective organic killer of fire ants. Mix 1 1/2 oz of Medina Orange Oil with 3 oz of Dawn dish washing liquid with 1 gal of water. Stir and pour onto the fire ant mound. The mixture usually kills about 90% of the ants. Wait about a week and repeat the procedure. The second application will kill 90% of the remaining 10% that survived. Wait a week and repeat the procedure a third time to finish the job. After the three applications, 99.99% of the ants will be killed. I've been doing this for several years and it works. I learned about the procedure from Texas A & M University agriculture department publications.
I bought this oil because I read that orange oil kills fire ants and my property was overrun with them. Because they get in the garden I am especially mindful of what I use. I found a great recipe using 3 oz. of blue Dawn and 1.5 oz. Medina orange oil to 1 gal. water. I live right next to a cow pasture so fire ants will be a constant battle. And yes, now that we're getting lots of rain and cooler temps I've put some parasitic nematodes down to help control them as well, but this stuff is great. I also like to use a small amount in home made cleaning solutions because of the wonderful smell as well as its cleaning power boost.
I've been using this product from Medina Agricultural Products for several years, and I have been using orange oil to kill fleas and their eggs for over 25 years. This is a great product. My animals haven't had fleas since I first started using it 25 years ago. I add water and orange oil in a spray bottle and spray my carpets before I vacuum. I probably wouldn't use it on something white but other than that it doesn't seem to discolor anything. I also use iron oil based spills to clean up in my husbands shop. It works wonders.
Can Crange Oil be used as a general insecticide and is an application done the same way? How long does it kill?
Orange Oil is only labeled to be used in a foliar solutions, soil drenches, and cleaning solutions. It is only going to deter some insect pests such as fire ants and will only kill those insects that are sprayed directly during application.
Will product stop cats from pooping in the yard? Is it safe around children?
I work at a child care center and need a product or something that will keep cats from pooping on the artificial grass and safe around children.
Orange Oil is safe for children and pets as long as they are kept out of the treated area and dries completely before allowing re-entry. Orange Oil is known to repel certain insects like Fire Ants, however, the manufacture does not make claims that it will repel domesticated animals such as cats. Please see our Cat & Dog Repellant page for products that are safe and effective at repelling nuisance cats.
Orange Oil is not recommended to treat termites. Orange oil is said to have repellant tenancies, but will not be a good choice to eradicate termites. Please visit our Termite control page. Please identify what type of termite you are treating for and then you will be able to better proceed in eradication of the termites.
Will this product work to help get rid of bed bugs?
No, Orange Oil is not a pesticide. It is used as foliar solutions, soil drenches, and cleaning solutions. It is only going to deter some insect pests such as fire ants and will only kill those insects that are sprayed directly during application.