1) Non-Chemical Prevention
Effective as pesticides are, it is not reasonable to think they will achieve total elimination without any effort on your part. Practicing good sanitation and the non-chemical control techniques (eliminating conditions that favor product pests) can both speed the work of chemical control and prevent future infestations from returning.
- Remove dry pantry foods and bulk foods from original containers and store them instead in tight-fitting containers. (Pasta, cereal, flour- anything that comes in a paper or cardboard box)
- Clean pantry shelves regularly, as this will help to remove small bits of food that pantry pests need to survive.
- Never purchase a broken or damaged package. The chance of these being infested is greater than for perfectly sealed ones.
- Do not mix old and new lots of foodstuffs. If the old material is infested, the pest will quickly invade the new.
- If you are unsure about an item being infested, test it: Place it in a plastic bag where you will be able to catch anything that emerges. If you find the pantry pest accumulating in the bag, you know the foodstuff is contaminated and needs to be discarded. To insure any item is pest free, store it in these clear bags for at least a month.
- Clean old containers before filling them with fresh food. They may be contaminated and cause a new infestation.
- Keep storage units dry. This is important because moisture favors the development of pantry pests; dryness discourages them.
Pantry Pest Traps represent the simplest and most effective solution for getting rid of pantry pests including moth and beetle product pests in kitchens, pantries, bathrooms, warehouses, and food processing plants. Pantry Pest Traps are generally constructed of cardboard or paper lined on the inside with pheromone impregnated glue strip. The insect sex pheromones powerfully attract the moth or beetle pests, luring them to the trap where they get stuck on the glue strip and are not able to escape.
- Easy To Use
- No-Mess, No-Fuss
3) Crack & Crevice Spray
Gentrol Complete Aerosol is a broad-spectrum adulticide with a built-in IGR that can be sprayed into the cracks and crevices of cabinets and pantries to kill adult pantry pests. Full control requires at least 2-4 treatments spaced about 3 weeks apart, due to the life cycles of the pests.
DoMyOwnPestControl.com has also put together a Pantry Pest Kit that is not only convenient but economical too.
View our entire line of Pantry Pest Control products