Rat Identification Guide
Learn What Rats Look Like & How To Identify Them
Print Article By DoMyOwn staff
Two Main Types of Rats in the U.S.
How Long Do Rats Live?Adult rats can live for about 1-3 years. Females can reach breeding age within 2 months but usually start reproducing at around 5-6 months. The gestation period lasts about 21-25 days and a usually produces 6-13 pups (rat babies) Rats can typically produce 5-10 litters per year.
How big are rats?
- Roof rats range in weight from 5-10 ounces
- Roof rats range in length from 10 -12 inches long
- Norway rats range in weight from 7-18 ounces
- Norway rats range in length from 13-18 inches long
- Rats have 4 legs
- Rats have short fur
- Rats have tails that vary in length but is generally not hairy
- Rats have beady black eyes
- Rats have two small ears
Do rats have bones?While rats can squeeze their way into very small spaces, they do in fact have bones.
Do rats have bladders?While rats do frequently urinate, seemingly uncontrollably, rats do in fact have bladders.
405 of 454 people found this article informative and helpful.