The ThermaCELL Dark Bronze Mosquito Repellent Lantern (12 hrs) (Blue Box) (MR 9SB) is a dual-acting device that brings great area illumination, while providing ultimate protection against mosquitoes, black flies and other flying insects. It features 3 LED lights that are powered by 3 AAA batteries. The repellent operates on a single butane cartridge that endures up to 12 hours. It works silently and has no smelly oils, sprays or lotions on skin. The 6.5 in. tall lantern can be displayed by hanging or simply placing on a flat surface. The unit is perfect for backyard use. It establishes 15 x 15 feet zone of protection. To activate, turn the lantern top after inserting the cartridge and mats. The repellent and the light features can work together or separately. Refill with ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Refill Value Packs.
Once purchased, product includes:
1 Reusable Lantern
1 Butane Cartridge
3 Insect Repellent Mats (per mat lasts up to 4 hours)
Directions for Use:
Allow 10 to 30 minutes, depending upon the size of the area, for product to take effect. This product works well in outdoor areas where there is minimal air movement, such as decks, unenclosed porches, patios and yards. Product may be used for outdoor camping. Use one lantern per each 225 square feet (an area 15’ x 15’) or 15’ in diameter. Lantern provides light and repels mosquitoes, black flies, flying insects and bugs. Batteries power the light; heat from the ThermaCELL cartridge activates the repellent mat and provides mosquito repellency for up to four hours.
Use Restrictions: Only for outdoor use as an insect repellent. Do not use indoors, in tents or in any enclosed area. Do not insert anything other than ThermaCELL mats into the lantern. Cover or remove all exposed food. Do not leave lantern unattended or use in windy conditions. Do not expose lanterns or mats to rain. Place lantern on a flat, stable surface with the grill facing upward. Clean with a damp cloth only when the lantern is cool and inactive. Butane cartridges other than ThermaCELL cartridges will not work in this lantern.
To Use the Light:
1. Remove battery cover on the bottom of the lantern. Install 3 AAA-size batteries (not included) (A). Replace battery cover. The batteries power 3 LED lights and will provide lantern light for a maximum of 50 hours.
2. To turn lantern light on, push, the black switch on the bottom of the lantern to the “ON” position (B). If lantern light does not turn on, replace batteries. When finished using the light, push the switch to the “OFF” position.
To Use the Mosquito Repellent:
1. Remove one ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent mat from wrapper (C). Mats last a maximum of 4 hours. Mat turns from pale blue to white when repellent has been exhausted.
2. Insert the mat under the grill at the top of the lantern (D).
3. Remove the butane cartridge cap and screw the cartridge into the opening on the bottom of the lantern by turning the cartridge clockwise until it stops (E). Make sure the cartridge is fully inserted.
4. To activate the mosquito repellent, grasp the lantern collar and rotate collar to the right until the indicator line points to “ON” (F).The gas will begin to ¬flow.
5. Wait approximately 5 to 10 seconds then rotate lantern collar further to the right until the indicator line points to “START”. You should hear a clicking noise.
6. To verify that the mosquito repellent is activated look at the oval view hole located on the lantern collar to the right of the “START” button. An orange light will glow (G). If there is no orange light, rotate indicator line back to the “ON” position and repeat rotation to the “START” position two to three times in rapid succession.
7. If there is still no orange light visible in the view hole, make sure the cartridge is completely screwed into place. Also check the amount of fuel in the cartridge. If cartridge is empty or near empty, remove cartridge and replace with a new ThermaCELL cartridge. Then repeat steps 4 - 6.
8. Do not touch the grill; it will be hot after a few minutes. Some visible vapor will appear during use. This is normal. When finished using the lantern, rotate the lantern collar to the left until the line points to “OFF”. Allow lantern to cool completely before storing.
9. To replace a used mat, make sure line is in the “OFF” position and allow lantern grill to cool. Push the used mat out by inserting a fresh mat (H).
Note: Please see ThermaCELL Dark Bronze Lantern Instructions for the Illustrations.
Q: How should I store my ThermaCELL when I am not using it?
A: Store your ThermaCELL in a cool, dry place away from heat sources. You can put it in a plastic bag to keep dust and dirt out of it. Always be sure to make sure your ThermaCELL is working properly if it has been stored for a long period of time.
Q: Where can I use ThermaCELL area repellent mosquito protection?
A: The product works well in outdoor areas where there is minimal air movement, such as decks, yards, and campsites. For best coverage in still air, place the unit close to the ground. This allows repellent to spread over a maximum area.
Q: Can ThermaCELL be used for getting rid of black flies?
A: Yes. ThermaCELL is an effective black fly repellent.
Q: Does ThermaCELL work on all kinds of mosquitoes?
A: Yes. While ThermaCELL has not been tested on every species of mosquito, it has been extensively tested on a large variety of species (including the most aggressive varieties and those most prone to bite). We have yet to find a kind of mosquito that ThermaCELL does not repel.
Q: How often do I have to change ThermaCELL bug repellent mats?
A: A repellent mat needs to be changed when it turns white. Each mat lasts for 3 to 4 hours of continuous use.
Q: How often do I have to change ThermaCELL cartridges?
A: A cartridge will last for 9 to 12 hours of continuous use and should be changed when empty.
Q: When I installed a new mat, I noticed that the bottom of the old mat was a dark brown color, almost as if it had burned. Should I be concerned?
A: No. It is normal for a spent mat to be dark brown on the bottom and almost white on the top.
Q: I started my Mosquito Repellent Appliance and took it outside with me, but the mosquitoes didn’t stay away. Why didn’t it work?
A: For best results, start the device and place it outdoors in the area of your intended activity for at least 15 minutes. It needs some time to establish the area of protection.
Q: My appliance worked for a while, but now it is not working. What should I do?
A: The fuel supply may be empty. Look at the fuel gauge on the bottom side of the unit. Turn the unit off, replace the butane cartridge, and start it as shown in the directions.
Next, turn the on/off switch to the on position and let the butane gas flow for 2 minutes before hitting the start button. This will purge the appliance and often corrects the problem.
Q: I followed the directions for starting the unit. It got hot, but it did not keep the mosquitoes away from me. What should I do?
A: Check to be sure that the pad has blue color left. If not, replace the pad with a fresh one.
If the wind is blowing, place the unit so that the wind blows over it first, then the area you want to protect. That way, the wind will carry the repellent to where you want it.
Q: Can I stop and start the unit or do I have to use it all at once?
A: You can turn the unit on and off at will. Please allow 10 to 15 minutes for ThermaCELL to reach maximum effectiveness. You can use a mat until it turns completely white.
Q: How do I know the ThermaCELL unit is working?
A: An orange light on the top of the device glows when the unit is on.
Q: My ThermaCELL device is not working correctly at high elevations. What can I do?
A: Unfortunately, most ThermaCELL mosquito appliances and lanterns will not work well at higher elevations. At altitudes above 4,500 feet (above sea level), most units become difficult to start and run. The lower air density causes the problem. If you are having trouble using your ThermaCELL at high elevation, it is probably not a defective appliance, but just a limitation of the product at high elevation.
Q: When should I turn on my ThermaCELL product?
A: ThermaCELL will take 10 to 15 minutes to reach maximum effectiveness. Plan accordingly.
Q: Can I use ThermaCELL when it is windy?
A: In breezy weather, place the unit upwind of your location so that the repellent is carried by the wind into the area you want to protect.
Q: Should I see smoke coming from the unit?
A: In normal operation, a small amount of smoke may be visible coming from the pad.
Q: Can I use ThermaCELL in the rain?
A: Do not expose appliances or mats to rain. Their effectiveness may be diminished.
Q: How large of an area does one ThermaCELL unit protect?
A: One device is effective for a 15 x 15-foot area (225 square feet), the size of an average deck or patio. Use more devices to protect larger areas.
Q: How do I clean a ThermaCELL appliance or lantern?
A: Wipe down with a damp rag. Never submerge in water or cleaning solution.
Q: Is ThermaCELL effective when I am walking?
A: Technically, ThermaCELL is designed to be used on a flat, stationary surface. However, customers have told us that ThermaCELL is very effective while walking their dog and cutting grass, for example.
Q: Can I use my ThermaCELL mats for multiple usages? (I.e. If I use a mat for one hour, can I use it again for another three hours?)
A: Yes, you can use Thermacell mats for a period of time less than four hours and they will still be just as effective. If there is going to be a significant amount of time between usages (several days +), we typically suggest that you keep the mats in their foil packaging or in a sealed sandwich bag between uses.
Q: Can I bring my ThermaCELL on a passenger airplane when I travel?
A: IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations state that you cannot bring ThermaCELL butane cartridges on a passenger aircraft or airline. We typically suggest that you bring your ThermaCELL appliance or lantern, and the mats with you, but purchase the butane cartridges at your destination. Or, you can ship the product to your destination in advance of you arriving. ThermaCELL products are sold in over 25 countries including North America, Europe, Africa, and Australia; and are available throughout the United States and Canada.
Q: Should I operate my ThermaCELL differently when it is cold out?
A: For best results in weather between 40 and 50 degrees fahrenheit, elevate the top of the appliance (end with view hole) one inch while operating so appliance is at a tilt.
Q: Will ThermaCELL spook game?
A: Many outdoorsmen use ThermaCELL and report that it does not spook game. The repellent in ThermaCELL is a copy of a natural repellent found in chrysanthemum flowers, which is a natural smell in nature.